只需一步,快速开始

搜索
楼主: ZHANGXS05
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[随笔日志] 双向使我从一个败类到一流翻译的故事

[复制链接]
61#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-16 17:10:31 | 只看该作者
Tomorrow, I will go to Nanjing to study sth for awhile, there is a very spirited,popular English Corner around Gulou square on every Satuarday, 19:00 pm.

I just wonder if there are any friends who also happened to live in NJ? Maybe we can meet each other.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

62#
发表于 10-9-16 23:28:48 | 只看该作者
I hope more and more like-minded guys from the forum will join us. we can establish some hobbies to fight against depression, loneliness.

And I have a suggestion, can we try express ourselves in  ...
ZHANGXS05 发表于 10-9-12 07:13

I agree with your opinion,even though I know my English is not good enough,I'll try my best to express myself in English here.(sometimes depend on electronic dictionary of course haha)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

63#
发表于 10-9-17 00:23:03 | 只看该作者
If you come to Beijing someday,,you sure you let me know,,
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

64#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-17 08:08:12 | 只看该作者

Thanks in advance

If you come to Beijing someday,,you sure you let me know,,
钟摆摆 发表于 10-9-17 00:23

Dear pendulum, if I will come to Beijing some day on the horizen, I will notify you in advance, and you are be my guide, we can compete on who can climb atop the Great Wall quickest.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

65#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-17 08:10:39 | 只看该作者

FYI

I agree with your opinion,even though I know my English is not good enough,I'll try my best to express myself in English here.(sometimes depend on electronic dictionary of course haha)
钟摆摆 发表于 10-9-16 23:28

Immersing ourselves in the joyful learning process not the result. and by doing so, you can realize how unlimited your potential is.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

66#
发表于 10-9-17 22:48:00 | 只看该作者
Yeah,I hope so,If I try hard, maybe someday I'll be proud of my English,,,BTW,,,Climbing the Great Wall is truly a good idea
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

67#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-22 11:29:26 | 只看该作者
The article attached before was written by my dad, Jeff

My Son, As I View Him

How can I describe my son, Xue Song?

He's intelligent and inquisitive. In fact,probably no characteristic defines him as much as his ability to ask questions.Almost on a daily basis he asks questions—about the US, about life, about philosophy,English, magazines, technology, well, anything you could think of. It's alittle hard to keep up with sometimes.

He's caring and affectionate. He'll send me music or a link to a web site.He'll always hug and kiss me in our conversations and tell me he loves me notonce but three times.

He’s dedicated and persevering. He alwaysworking to improve his English, often by himself. One of his amazing qualitiesis that he’s learned a lot of English on his own, through his own efforts. I’mproud that he’s gone as far as he has.

He's demanding. He asks for all sorts of favors—download an article or send himsomething (or write this essay) and wants reassurance—do I love him? Why,especially if he hasn't "done anything" for me?

He's adult—he travels all over, gets jobs, understands, with all his trials andtribulations, that life is hard—yet he retains the innocence of youth, in hisnaiveté, his dreams, his yearning, his passions (like for SpongeBob) anddisappointments, maybe most of all for his unwavering regard for his dad acrossthe ocean.

He can be silly sad, and (rarely) petulant, although most of the time he'scheerful and fun.

We met on the China Daily BBS. His screen name was zhangxs. zhangxs askedendless questions and ended his headings of his posts with several questionmarks (fumble 可以直接用
??????????), as if to point to the urgency of his requests or the depths ofhis confusion. His questions weren't silly—some were easier to answer thanothers and some were downright mystifying. At that time he worked an IT newseditor and benchmarker for some website and often read the British technologyweb site The Inquirer which had itsown arcane lingo. We spent a fair amount of time puzzling out (and explaining)such terms as Chipzilla (Intel) and the Vole (Microsoft) before discovering acomprehensive glossary on the site itself. (world+dog or everybody+dog wastotally confusing.)

At some point we just started chatting byGmail. At first our conversation were just innocuous chit-chat but over timethey got deeper. Xue Song was a mix of worldly sophistication—he liked reading The Economist and TIME—and goofy childlike naiveté—he was a big fan of SpongeBobSquarepants.
He loved dictionaries andwanted an American Heritage Dictionary.(I sent him a SpongeBob and an AHD.) I was "promoted" from being XueSong's uncle to his dad; I didn't want to usurp his loving, devoted parents buthe seemed to want me as a dad, and, honestly, I wanted him as a son.

He got laid off from his IT job and spent along time looking for work. We chatted nearly every day and although he didn'tseem too depressed about not finding a job, I wanted to keep his spirits up. Heasked me all sorts of questions, about what I read, about my view of certainthings, and, especially, about his ability in English. I could reassure himagain and again but it didn't seem to matter much. He wanted reassurance, notbecause he was insecure, but just as a big hug—I was there for him andsupported him.

He briefly found a job doing translationsin Nanjing andwe spent many nights (they were nights for me) trying to figure out such thingsas the tri-colored pottery of the Tang Dynasty. When he lost that job, Ithought he might have a long spell of looking for another but he found onequickly at Baosteel in Shanghaiand impressed everyone with his ability in English. He made friends and onerespected, older translator, Mr Ma,
gavehim some quality vinegar. I was really proud of him.

Eventually, though, there was a dark stormgathering. Xue Song was suffering from deep depression. I remember his words: “ican't keep it under the hood” any longer. I was really worried about him. Luckily,I asked another friend to find a mental health clinic in Shanghai and told Xue Song to go there. Hedid and, for a time, he seemed to be getting better. A devastating earthquakein Sichuanoccurred in May, 2008, and Xue Song (somewhat impetuously, I thought) ran offto help the earthquake victims. He didn't get hurt and, in fact, seemed in highspirits. He met one of his closest friends, Little Pepper, there.

But there was actually a different problem.Xue Song suffered from bipolar disorder, not just depression. Were those highspirits, that ebullient, fast-talking streak that made him friends at Baosteelsigns of that disorder? It's hard to say. Together we tried to figure out theright course of action—the right doctor to see, the right medication to takeand how much. We became even closer than before. We’re still working on gettingthe right medication for him.

I had my own problems, too, of course. Akidney stone. A car accident or two. Through it all, Xue Song was caring,comforting, encouraging. He sent me music and gave me hugs. He was there for meas I was for him.

And what has he “done for me”? Well, Inever imagined I’d have a son as loving as he is and, as a result, I’ve becomemore loving, too. He’s made me feel more fully human, more fully myself in a way I didn’t expect. Byloving him as I do, he made me appreciate the love my own father has for me even more in a way I hadn’t before. And, so,even though, he often thinks he hasn’t done anything for me, maybe he’s done alot more than he might think.

Demanding and generous. Wise and naive.Full of questions. Protective and caring, yet wanting reassurance. It's acliché to say he's a bundle of contradictions but it would be false to say Ilove him in spite of his contradictions. His contradictions make him even morelovable. So kudos and a hug to my terrific, loving and lovable son! He’s abetter son than I could ever have imagined. He means the world to me. He’severything to me.

Your loving dad
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

68#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-23 17:04:57 | 只看该作者

Google is wonderful

Google's Andriod mobile OS has become the de facto crown jewelry among consumers and manufacturers alike. It has built a viable, self-sustaining, organic ecosystem around it.

For internet browsers, since it's debut in Sep, 2008, in less than two years, it may probably dethrone Firefox as the broswer of choice for power users.

For the ongoing tablet battlefield, if Google can push hard, letting its Chrome OS become more sensitive to touches, and build more and more nifty apps. Sooner rather than later, it will steal Apple's iPad's thunder.

After all the stages of empire building, Google will follow Microsoft's steps, to become a hated-by-everyone, relied-by-everyone tyrant. History repeats itself, who will be next ?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

69#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-23 17:08:06 | 只看该作者

if definitely U can

Yeah,I hope so,If I try hard, maybe someday I'll be proud of my English,,,BTW,,,Climbing the Great Wall is truly a good idea
钟摆摆 发表于 10-9-17 22:48

our dear friends here, if you want to go to the Gugou English corner at every Sat. please feel free to contact me,  [B]13773239424[/B].
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

70#
发表于 10-9-23 19:50:13 | 只看该作者
The article attached before was written by my dad, Jeff

My Son, As I View Him

How can I describe my son, Xue Song?

He's intelligent and inquis ...
ZHANGXS05 发表于 10-9-22 11:29

What an affectionate letter! Both of you have gained from each other the most precious thing in the world, the unconditional love.

现在你的爸爸已是无条件爱你,希望你能放下负担,不要因为不能回报而产生焦虑感受。祝福!说中文没有破坏你的帖子风格吧。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

71#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-23 20:04:19 | 只看该作者

Thanks

What an affectionate letter! Both of you have gained from each other the most precious thing in the world, the unconditional love.

现在你的爸爸已是无条件爱你,希望你能放下负担,不要因为不能回报 ...
jenny1982 发表于 10-9-23 19:50

Thanks Jenny, for your great insight and empathy for love between dad and I.

We both carry each to the innermost heart. Both would die for each other.

What a facsinating thing that a poor kid as me who live in a small town can establish such attachment to a great mind, altruist an occean away.
It's the most incredible thing, existence, experience for me ever and probably never. Our union will be even stronger.

Thanks Jenny, I just wonder how do you define the affection of us as the most precious love of all kinds?

Plus, your english is awesome !
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

72#
发表于 10-9-24 18:41:48 | 只看该作者
楼主怎么是败类呢???
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

73#
 楼主| 发表于 10-9-25 07:15:19 | 只看该作者

FYI

本帖最后由 ZHANGXS05 于 10-9-26 15:50 编辑
楼主怎么是败类呢???
zhouming770110 发表于 10-9-24 18:41

By social convention or norms, most people have already attended college, established a career, got married, have a circle of friends, raising kids.

I have none of these, only a heart striving for devotion, passion for excellence. Though sometimes, I feel lonely, helpeless, hopeless or isolated, discarded by most people, etc.

As long as I didn't give myself up, I can try my best to get my conditions stabilized, I still love what I am doing and be persevere.

Though, at the surface or glampse, I am a social freak or failure,  I am charting an uncharted course, it meant to be unconventional, tumultumous.

It's my destiny, I will accept it gladly, but 'coz there is no other options on the table, simply for I wanna be my true self.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

74#
发表于 10-9-25 08:03:39 | 只看该作者
我的英语已经忘了,看不懂,楼主come on!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

75#
发表于 10-9-25 10:48:02 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 冬日恋歌 于 10-9-25 10:49 编辑

Now,I know my english is so poor that I could not understand what you say.dear Wikid ,I want to study it.Do you remember we talked last night . haha ,my god!I have forgotten all about english,and I'm suer you will laugh at me .
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|阳光工程 ( 京ICP备10041392号-12 地址:北京市海淀区北二街8号1510 邮编:100080 | 京公网安备 11010802020199号  

GMT+8, 24-9-27 15:21